FFBNetwork Project Coordinator Position
AFC is seeking a project coordinator to participate in a 12-month position designed to give broad based exposure to the day-to-day activities of the Functional Food and Bioactives Network (FFBN). The successful candidate will be expected to participate in all aspects of the network’s activities. In addition, the intern will be expected to conduct a small research project that they will present at the conclusion of the internship. Position duration is May 2016 – April 2017.
The individual will be involved in the FFBNetwork which is a provincial initiative centred at the Agriculture & Food Council (AFC) aimed at advancing Alberta's functional foods and bioactives sectors by developing a network of strategic interests to aid in the commercialization of Alberta-grown & refined functional foods, functional food ingredients, and bioactive products. The intern will provide support, to the FFBNetwork Project Manager through research gathering, report writing, networking and extension activities. The intern will work with government agencies, entrepreneurs, companies, production facilities and regulatory/export agencies to promote the growth and development of successful products.
To be eligible for this Career Focus Program you must fit the following guidelines:
- Between the ages of 15 and 30 (inclusive) at the time of intake/selection
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or persons who have been granted refugee status in Canada
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- Not in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) benefits
- Have graduated in the last 3 calendar years from:
- an agriculture-related program in a university, college or CEGEP; or
- a provincial program focusing on biological, agricultural and veterinary science or applied technology
Education and Experience
We are looking for applicants who hold a Bachelor's degree in agriculture or related field, e.g. Agronomy, Plant Physiology, Plant Pathology, Genetics, or Food Science.
Individual must display a high degree of self-motivation, self-initiative and ability to work well with others. Good communication and interpersonal skills along with strong computer aptitude are essential. Previous research experience preferred, but not required. Computer skills (Excel, Access, and electronic data collection) are a plus. Possess a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle (travel is required).
Team Member Responsibilities
- Ensure a high level of quality assurance
- Track project deliverables
- Plan and schedule project timelines
- Develop & Manage partnerships
- Have a point of view
- Wash dishes (everyone washes dishes here!)
- Embrace the collective leadership style
- Promote active listening
- Continuously learn about emerging opportunities in the industry